As a single mother of two children when she was just in her early 20’s, Amy Rees Anderson needed to figure out a way to support her family. Entrepreneurship is the path she went down, and as a result, she has impacted millions of lives around the world.
She founded “a cloud based health information exchange” company called Medi-Connect Global, and went on to lead over 2,000 employees before selling the company for $377 million. Now, she is an angel investor and the founder of REES Capital.
Why am I telling you all this? Because one of our team members got to see Amy speak, and walked away with 16 powerful lessons we wanted to share with you about building your business, building your tribe, and changing the world.
- People may be the most important resource you have access to in your life – relationships, connections. But you have to take care of those people and nurture those relationships.
- Just START. Get up, do something! What would I do if I was not afraid?
- Pay attention to discontent – every complaint is an opportunity.
- It doesn’t matter what other people think!
- Why do we celebrate raising money? Shouldn’t we be celebrating the difference that the product makes for the customer?
- You have to learn how to accomplish great things withOUT spending a lot of money. You need to BOOTSTRAP IT! Get your customers to fund your business. “Hey, I made this. What do you think? Would you pay for it?”
- The secret to a happy marriage: before asking for a favor, tell your spouse how painful is this going to be? how long is it going to take? what do you need from me?
- It’s ok not to “know it all”… your integrity is the most important thing
- Foster creative energy! Creativity can help you save a LOT of money.
- Be real, and authentic. Own who you really are, and people will rally around you.
- You DID NOT FAIL if you learned something that will make you a better person in the future. Everything will be okay in the end. If it’s not okay, it’s not the end.
- You’ve got to plan to be self reliant no matter what.
- There is something that happens when we visualize the future we want that enables us to achieve it. Don’t limit yourself to the picture in your mind, because God intends for your picture to be a masterpiece.
- If you don’t learn how to delegate effectively, you will never grow your business.
- When you get really big, communicating is your job. You have to point people in the right direction.
- Speak up – don’t apologize for acting important, because you are.
You can view Amy’s full remarks by clicking HERE
Zac Garside is a marketing student at Utah State University, and the marketing manager at Power Selling Pros.
He loves big ideas… like, if a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it, does it make any noise?